With an increase in diseases and health problems discovered every day globally, fitness and exercise have been an important part of our lives. We go around fiddling and finding out what works best for us in terms of living a healthy lifestyle. However, it all comes down to being able to track our progress and challenging ourselves. Here is when there is a need for a fitness tracker.
You may come across multiple numbers of products that are solely aimed at getting your attention through their designs or special discount offers. We often encounter advertisements that promise to offer gifts with each purchase. These are all marketing strategies to increase profit by advertising companies. Not all fitness trackers are built as per your need, and not all of them can fit small wrists. Nevertheless, there are fitness trackers that fit small wrists and also fulfill your requirements with ease.
What Is A Fitness Tracker?
A fitness tracker (also known as an activity tracker) is a wrist-worn device that monitors or tracks various body parameters, which include distance covered during walking or running, measurement of heartbeat, body temperature, calorie consumption, sleep cycle, etc.
Not all fitness trackers are the same. So, the parameters one tracker measures might differ from another tracker. Even the trackers from the same brand might perform various functions.
Why Do I Need A Fitness Tracker?
Fitness trackers have multiple functions. The need for a fitness tracker has been listed below:
- Keeps track of one’s activity both during the day and at night
- Makes you aware of how much you can achieve
- Helps to target/ fix a goal for the day
- Motivates to keep continuing your workouts
- Increases productivity even at your workspace
- Makes you aware of your health habits and make necessary changes
- Monitors your vitals
- Helps in finding out any asymptomatic disease you might not be aware of
- Serves as an important tool in health settings for health professionals/ doctors to check if you have been following their advice
- Improves your health care cost savings
It has also been found in a study that the constant use of fitness trackers can improve your step counts by more than a mile per day.
10 Best Trackers For Small Wrists
- Fitbit charge 2
- Fitbit charge 4
- Fitbit inspire HR
- Garmin Fenix 5S
- Garmin Forerunner 25
- Honor band 5
- Xiaomi Mi Band 4
- Garmin Vivosmart 4
- Huawei Band 3 Pro
- Withings Activite Pop
How To Choose The Best Fitness Tracker For You?
Before buying any fitness tracker, always consider its weight and size. A heavy tracker might cause discomfort and pain at the wrists. Similarly, a tracker with a loose strap might fall off easily and is often difficult to manage. Try buying a tracker with an adjustable band.
The GPS feature might come in handy if you are someone who doesn’t like to carry smartphones around. Besides providing notifications and alerts to phone calls, it has been known to give a more precise measurement. An in-built GPS feature tracks not only running activities but also tracks advanced workouts such as swimming, cycling, etc.
Fitness trackers also come with different features such as heart rate tracker, sleep monitoring, in-built workout schedules, sedentary alert, menstrual cycle tracker, and wrist sense. Choose a tracker based on your need and the time duration for which you might be using them.
Other factors to consider might be the battery life, whether the tracker is waterproof or not, its design and style, comfort, and price value.
|HEART RATE TRACKER||WATERPROOF||GPS (inbuilt)||BATTERY LIFE||PRICE|
|FITBIT CHARGE 2||Yes||No||Connected GPS available||5 days||$89- $130|
|FITBIT CHARGE 4||Yes||Yes||Available||7 days||$126 and above|
|FITBIT INSPIRE HR||Yes||Yes||Connected GPS available||5 days||$79 and above|
|GARMIN FENIX 5S||Yes||Yes||Available||14 hours- 9 days||$279 and above|
|GARMIN FORERUNNER 25||No||Yes||Available||8- 10 hours||$179 and above|
|HONOR BAND 5||Yes||Yes||Not available||14 days||$32 and above|
|XIAOMI MI BAND 4||Yes||Yes||Connected GPS available||20 days||$17 and above|
|GARMIN VIVOSMART 4||Yes||Yes||Not available||7 days||$65 and above|
|HUAWEI BAND 3 PRO||Yes||Yes||Available||14 days||$58 and above|
Fitbit Charge 2
The Fitbit Charge 2 is a good looking comfortable tracker with small band sizes. The tracker presents with 5 days of battery life and a good display.
The tracker monitors your heart rate; steps are taken, distance traveled, calories burned, stairs climbed, and also shows your hourly activities. The tracker auto recognizes activities such as walking, running, outdoor biking, and aerobic workouts.
The Fitbit Charge 2 also shows call and messages notification, but the entire message cannot be read. There is a connected GPS feature available. Despite all these features, the tracker fails to be waterproof.
- The Fitbit Charge 2 has interchangeable bands that are easy to clean and don’t pull the arm hairs. The band size for small wrists measures 5.5-6.7 inches (140- 170mm), and for large wrists, it measures 6.7- 8.1 inches (170- 205 mm).
- The tracker has an optical sensor that runs throughout the day.
- It has a function called the interval mode, which tells you when to stop the activity and start again (move and rest).
- There are breathing sessions that help control breathing and release stress.
- The Fitbit tracker presents an inbuilt gyroscope sensor.
- Through a connected GPS, you can set/ record your route during hiking and/or running.
- The tracker doesn’t have a colorful display, and the touchscreen feature is not available; a tapping gesture is required.
- The Fitbit Charge 2 is not waterproof but is splash, sweat, and rain resistant.
- Not having an inbuilt GPS might be troublesome for some users.
Fitbit Charge 4
Although similar to the Fitbit Charge 3 in terms of looks, Fitbit Charge 4 comes with an additional feature, an inbuilt GPS. The inbuilt GPS can be used for outdoor activities such as running, riding, hiking, and many more without you having to carry your phone all around.
The tracker keeps track of your heart rate, sleep pattern, calories burnt, optimizes your workouts, and keeps track of your progress. It helps you to earn Active Zone minutes, a feature that analyzes your activities and calculates the change from the fat burn zone to the cardio zone or peak zone. This feature lets you know whether you are working hard enough or not.
For contactless payments, you can use the Fitbit Pay app and get rid of your debts. The tracker also comes in with the Spotify control feature to control music.
The tracker is water-resistant up to 50m and tracks swimming activities automatically. It notifies you of the incoming calls, texts, email, and other smartphone app alerts.
Fitbit Charge 4 is compatible with the Apple iOS 12.2 or higher, Android OS 7.0 or higher, and Windows 10 version 1607.0 or higher. Overall, it gets all features in a much smaller package and is worth the buy.
- The Fitbit Charge 4 comes in with an additional band size. The small bands measure 5.5- 7.1 inches (140- 180 mm), and the large bands measure 7.1-8.7 inches (180-220 mm).
- There’s a feature called Fitbit Pay that enables you to load debit/ credit cards onto the tracker.
- Although the tracker doesn’t have a music playing feature, it has Spotify control that can control the music being played elsewhere when linked with the Spotify account.
- It helps you earn active zone minutes with high-intensity exercises and cardio workouts.
- The tracker can also be used to check for weather reports of any location.
- The Fitbit Charge 4 has a lack of color display.
- Fitbit Pay is not supported by all banks.
Fitbit Inspire HR
The Fitbit Inspire HR is a comfortable and easy-to-use tracker that comes with a touchscreen and an on-screen dashboard assisting in tracking activities.
The tracker measures the heart rate, calories burnt, distance traveled, active hours, and also tracks sleep. It lacks an inbuilt GPS but works well with the phone’s GPS. Along with tracking swimming, biking, and interval training, you can also add your preferred exercises using the Fitbit app.
You can also set timers and alarms with the tracker. Smart notifications are shown on display, but one cannot reply or interact other than reading a snippet of the notifications. The tracker is water-resistant up to 50m.
Despite not having many watch faces, the fitness tracker comes at a low price and is a great product, to begin with.
- The Fitbit Inspire HR comes with non-irritable, replaceable bands that can be replaced with a release lever on the back.
- The bands come in a small size of 5.5-7.1 inches (140-180 mm) and a large size of 7.1-8.7 inches (180-220 mm).
- Relaxation sessions assist the users in breathing and meditation.
- The tracker auto- recognizes exercises and workouts and logs them to the Fitbit app.
- Notifications can be sensed through vibration, even during workouts.
- There is no availability of in-built GPS.
- The tracker doesn’t support weather readings.
- Despite being a fitness tracker, the Fitbit Inspire HR doesn’t record the flights of stairs climbed.
- The music play feature is not available with this product.
Garmin Fenix 5S
The Garmin Fenix 5S is a multi-sport watch perfect for tracking your daily activities. The tracker is easy to use and is even packed with advanced features.
The tracker tracks various sports, including running, cycling, swimming, rowing, golfing, hiking, mountain biking, climbing, skiing, and many more. The tracker also records secondary advanced running dynamic stats that include stress score, performance condition, lactate threshold, recovery advisor, training load, etc.
It also features an inbuilt GPS, gyroscope, altimeter, barometer, and compass. There is a heart rate sensor, temperature sensor, sleep tracker, notification alerts all packed into a single fitness tracker.
- The Garmin Fenix 5S comes with a light, sleek and compact design and is designed for small wrists.
- The strap size measures 4.3-7.2 inches (110-185 mm).
- The display consists of a LED backlight, which enables the users to read the display even under intense sunlight.
- The advanced GPS and GLONASS satellite combined are useful in tracking your activity in a more challenging environment.
- The tracker even breaks the workouts into aerobic and anaerobic training zones.
- It comes with an altimeter, barometer, and compass sensor.
- There is also an in-built gyroscope to improve position accuracy.
- Music cannot be loaded onto the Garmin Fenix 5S model.
- The tracker is a bit expensive in regards to other trackers providing the same function.
Garmin Forerunner 25
The Garmin Forerunner 25 features a large screen with a black and white display and is readable in all conditions. It is water-resistant up to 50m and is lightweight.
The tracker has an internal accelerometer and GPS that track your activities throughout the day. It records time, distance, pace, calorie burned, heart rate, and sleep data. One can set goals, see history, set reminders, alarms, and also receive notifications on the tracker.
The Garmin Forerunner 25 is also a good choice for users with small wrists.
- The strap size measures 5.5-8.5 inches (140-216 mm) and can be adjusted according to your wrist size.
- The smartphone syncing feature makes it easier to upload activities onto your device.
- The Garmin Forerunner 25 doesn’t have a wrist-based heart rate monitor.
- It also doesn’t offer programmable workout features.
- The battery life isn’t long, i.e., 8-10 hours.
Honor Band 5
The Honor Band 5 is an easy-to-use and simple tracker with an adjustable strap. The tracker has a large colored screen display, and an increase in brightness enables one to use the tracker even in the bright sunlight.
The tracker monitors your heart rate, sleep cycle, step count, and also your blood oxygen levels. It also advises you to increase your sleep time if needed. The tracker is waterproof and automatically recognizes the swim strokes and distance.
There are plenty of watch faces available with the tracker, which is a bonus. However, it lacks an inbuilt GPS. The band should be connected to your Huawei account through the health app. If you are looking for a simple tracker at an affordable price, the Honor Band 5 is for you.
- Honor Band 5 is a stylish band that is ideal for both sexes.
- The strap is fit for wrists measuring 4.8-7.9 inches (122-203 mm).
- It features round-the-clock heart rate monitoring.
- The band is water-resistant up to 50m.
- The tracker has an in-built gyroscope for position accuracy.
- Along with the activity timer, sedentary tracker, the band also monitors SpO2.
- The fitness tracker is said to have poor battery life when all features are enabled.
- It doesn’t have a GPS.
- The band cannot be separated from the strap.
Xiaomi Mi Band 4
With its lightweight and simple buckle system, the Xiaomi Mi Band 4 tracks your heart rate, workouts, sleep, steps, and distance covered via the Mi Fit app. It has a colored display, and the screen can be viewed even in the sunlight.
The tracker comes with a capacitive button and a touchscreen feature. You can set reminders, alarms, and also look for weather forecasts: the 3- axis accelerometer and gyroscope monitor your movements with accuracy.
The tracker is waterproof up to 50m and can track your swimming as well. It notifies you about the incoming calls and texts, but you cannot answer the calls due to the lack of speakers in the tracker.
With 20-day battery life and the above-mentioned features at a cost-friendly price, the Xiaomi Mi Band 4 should not be a problem for the users.
- The Xiaomi Mi Band 4 is comfortable to wear and comes in with a color display.
- The band can be separated from the strap and can fit wrists 4.7 inches (120 mm) and above.
- The tracker features an in-built gyroscope and accelerometer.
- The tracker presents with a battery life of 20 days with a single charge.
- It comes in at a low price and features all the necessary settings necessary during the workouts.
- The band doesn’t have an in-built GPS but does work with a connected GPS.
Garmin Vivosmart 4
The Garmin Vivosmart 4 comes with a simple design and a touchscreen feature alongside its monochrome display. The tracker is water-resistant up to 5 ATMs and can be used for heart rate tracking, sleep tracking, swimming, and to help with guided breathing.
A special feature in this product is the body battery, which looks at different activities you have performed and, through the data collected, measures your energy, suggesting you either rest or continue exercising.
There is no GPS available with the Garmin Vivosmart 4 and gives you a general idea about your fitness routine. It might not be a great choice for advanced fitness tracking, though.
- Garmin Vivosmart 4 is light weighted, easy to use, and gives a pleasing look when worn.
- The tracker comes in two sizes; the small size being 4.8- 7.4 inches (122-188 mm) and the large size being 5.8-8.4 inches (148-215 mm).
- The fitness tracker consists of a pulse oximeter that estimates the oxygen levels in your blood.
- It has a heart rate sensor that works all day long.
- There is a feature called the body battery, which measures your energy throughout the day.
- The bands are attached to the watch and cannot be separated.
- The display size is small, so you might have a problem using it.
- There is no GPS feature available with this tracker.
Huawei Band 3 Pro
The Huawei Band 3 Pro is packed with amazing features at an affordable cost. The tracker presents with an inbuilt GPS, continuous heart rate monitoring, and is water-resistant up to 50m.
The tracker comes with a 6- axis accelerometer sensor and a capacitive button for access when it doesn’t respond with a wrist flick. The screen is readable even in the sunlight, but since the auto-brightness sensor is unavailable, one has to change it manually.
The tracker measures your sleep, distance, keeps track of your route, exertion level, calories, etc. With the swimming mode, it has a stroke recognition feature and offers data such as calories, a number of turns, and an average SWOLF.
The tracker provides notifications, and the phone call can be answered straight from the device. The Huawei Band 3 Pro is compatible with an Android device with version 4.4 or above as well as an iOS device with version 9.0 or above.
- The Huawei Band 3 Pro has a screen covered by glass that prevents scratches and provides longer usability.
- The straps can be changed according to your preference. The small strap is adjustable to a 3.6 inches (92 mm) wrist, and the large strap is adjustable to 4.7 inches (120 mm) wrist.
- The tracker features the VO2 max sensor that calculates the maximum amount of oxygen used during the workout.
- The tracker can even act as a camera shutter remote while taking photos.
- The Huawei Band 3 Pro doesn’t track weight loss or gain during exercises.
- It doesn’t have a period tracking feature.
- Music cannot be loaded onto the tracker.
Withings Activite Pop
The Withings Activite Pop is a stylish fitness tracker designed to look like your normal wristwatch. It comes in handy while measuring step counts, distance traveled, calories burnt, and sleep tracking. One can always see the time and the step count on the tracker.
The tracker is controlled through your smartphone via a connected GPS. The tracker lacks the heart rate monitoring function, though, which is available in almost every fitness tracker these days.
The tracker is waterproof and can withstand pressure up to 50m. It has a battery life of 6 months, which is an exceptional feature, and is compatible with iOS 7 or higher, Android 4.3, or higher but with a few exceptions.
- The Withings Activite Pop features a comfortable tracker which is light in weight and can be worn to sleep.
- The tracker has an adjustable band that can fit wrists from 5.5-8.7 inches (140-220 mm).
- The tracker presents a good display and is easy to read on the screen.
- It automatically detects swimming activities and tracks your swim without having to do anything on your part.
- The battery life for Withings Activite Pop is six months.
- The Withings Activite Pop doesn’t have a heart rate tracker, and advanced fitness features are not available.
- You need to purchase a new watch battery every six months or so.
Customer/ User Impressions
When going through the reviews of the fitness products listed above, the trackers were worth giving a try. The Fitbit Charge 2 worked well in terms of monitoring the heart rate, and the mini-goals it provided were quite appreciated. The Fitbit Charge 4 also showed a good result, but some users were not pleased with the battery life. Similarly, the Fitbit Inspire HR served as a useful guide to help to gain fitness. The reviews for the Garmin Fenix 5S and the Garmin Forerunner 25 were almost similar. The Fenix 5S was said to be of higher cost in regards to the features it provided. The physical buttons on the Forerunner 25 were loved as it was easy to use when sweaty. For budget-friendly users seeking a good battery life, the Honor Band 5, Xiaomi Mi Band 4, and Huawei Band 3 Pro were good to go. The Withings Activite Pop was loved for its style as it looked like a normal watch but performed the functions of a fitness tracker. The Garmin Vivosmart 4 was cherished for its reasonable price, accuracy, and good results delivery.
In conclusion, whichever fitness tracker you choose, choose it based on your comfort, its features that are useful to you, and the price range you are willing to spend on it. If you have been worrying about the tracker that fits your wrists, the trackers mentioned above are the best. Sometimes reviews can be useful, but you can never make out which tracker is exactly meant for you until and unless you start using it.