Usually, Fitbit Trackers work without any issue, however, you cannot expect the world to be perfect. You have to experience some days when your Fitbit shows certain problems, whether it be a problem in syncing, stuck buttons, or many more.
The method of turning off, restarting, and resetting differs in each Fitbit device, and the process normally takes a few minutes.
Besides, in the case of Fitbit Alta, Fitbit Alta HR, Fitbit Flex, and Fitbit Flex 2, Fitbit won’t let you turn off the device. In Fitbit Alta and Fitbit Alta HR, you can instead reboot the devices, but there is no such option in the case of Fitbit Flex and Fitbit Flex 2.
Here, in this article, I will take you through the reason behind turning off, restarting, and resetting any Fitbit devices, and also the detailed steps for performing these activities. Keep reading!
Why Should I Restart/Turn Off My Fitbit?
Restarting your device won’t delete your data, nonetheless, if your tracker stores texts, calls, or calendar notifications, then you will lose those data during the process.
However, if you face any of the following problems, turning off/restarting your device can solve these problems:
- If your Fitbit tracker won’t sync.
- If your tracker won’t respond to button presses, taps, or swipes.
- Your device doesn’t turn on even if it’s fully charged.
- Fitbit App stuck while looking for the device.
- Your Fitbit device is not tracking any activities.
Why Should I Reset My Fitbit?
There are two types of reset: a factory reset and a quick reset. A quick reset will turn your device off and back on without erasing any of your data, but a factory reset will delete all your data and then, turn your tracker off and back on.
So, before resetting your device, you must understand why you want to reset your device.
If you want to exchange your tracker with a new model or want to gift it to your friend, then you want to erase your entire data. Under such circumstances, you must perform a factory reset.
However, you have to perform a quick reset if you want to fix some basic problems such as:
- Fitbit tracker won’t sync or can’t complete sync successfully.
- Bluetooth connection not working between your phone and your device.
- If the performance is slow and sluggish.
- Problem with the display: not responding to button presses or swipes.
- The Fitbit tracker doesn’t track your steps and won’t show you any metrics.
- If the Fitbit doesn’t hold the charge.
Here, I will guide you step-by-step on how to perform a quick reset rather than a factory reset.
Fitbit Alta/Fitbit Alta HR: Turn Off, Restart, and Reset
Fitbit Alta-a a sleek designed wristband that tracks your steps, your distance traveled (without GPS), your calories burned, your sleep, and also displays your notifications.
Steps to Turn Off Fitbit Alta/ Fitbit Alta HR
As I mentioned earlier, you cannot turn off your Fitbit Alta and Fitbit Alta HR, rather, you have to reboot the devices.
- Foremost, put your Fitbit Alta in charge.
- Then, press the button on the charging cable three times, pausing between each press. You will find the button at the end of your charging cable.
- Finally, the Fitbit logo appears, and the device restarts. Now, the tracker is rebooted.
Steps to Restart Fitbit Alta/ Fitbit Alta HR
- First, plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any other USB power adapter.
- Then, insert the other end of the charging cable onto the port on the back of your Fitbit Alta. You will see your tracker charging.
- Press the button on your charging cable three times within eight seconds, pausing between each press. You can see the button at the end of your charging cable.
- You must see a Fitbit logo appear on the screen and you will feel a gentle vibration. Your Alta has restarted.
- After that, disconnect your Alta from the charger.
Steps to Reset Fitbit Alta/Fitbit Alta HR
- To get started, pull out your charging cable and plug it into a USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
- Then, securely attach your Fitbit to the charging cable. The tracker will vibrate and start charging if properly inserted.
- You will see a small round button at the base of your charging cable.
Fitbit Flex: Turn Off, Restart, and Reset
Fitbit Flex- the first Fitbit tracker worn on the wrist, with a strap design that makes it light and comfortable to wear either day or night. It is water-resistant, tracks movement 24/7, and has 5-day battery life.
As I said earlier, you cannot turn off your Fitbit Flex. However, if you want to turn off your device and keep it somewhere until you plan to use it again, then you can simply let the battery go down which will turn off the device.
Nevertheless, you can restart and reset the Fitbit Flex without any issue. Let’s proceed towards the steps.
Steps to Restart Fitbit Flex
- Foremost, plug your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or any other USB power adapter.
- Next, plug your Flex onto the charging cable.
- Then, insert a paperclip into a small pinhole on the back of your charger.
- You must hold down the paperclip for 3-5 seconds.
- Finally, unplug your Flex from the charging cable.
Your Fitbit Flex must show some flashing LED lights for a few seconds and then the restart will complete.
Steps to Reset Fitbit Flex
- First, connect the Fitbit Flex to its charger.
- Next, on the back of the charger, insert the paperclip into the small pinhole.
- Then, gently press down for four seconds.
- Finally, remove the Fitbit Flex from the charger.
Your Flex must show some flashing LED lights for a few seconds and then restart will be complete. Thus, the reset process completes. If the process doesn’t work for the first time, you can repeat the process.
Fitbit Flex 2: Turn Off, Restart, and Reset
|Display||Discrete multi-color LED light|
|Material Used||Casing material: Surgical grade stainless steel
Strap material: Elastomer
|Dimensions||Body dimensions: 2.37 x 8.75 x 2.37 inches
Body net weight: 36.3g
|Heart Rate Monitor||No|
|Battery||6 days+ for standby
3 days+ for mixed usage
(Lithium Polymer Battery)
|Supported Systems||Android and iOS|
|In the box||Fitbit Flex 2 x 1
Strap x 1
Charging cable x 1
User manual x 1
|Other Features||Shows calorie consumption
Fitbit Flex 2-a tracker wirelessly and automatically syncs to 200+ iPhone, Android, and Windows devices. Fitbit Flex 2 effortlessly tracks your all-day activities giving you a holistic overview of your entire day.
Similar to Fitbit Flex, you cannot turn off Fitbit Flex 2, rather you have to let the battery go down, so it will turn off by itself.
Steps to Restart Fitbit Flex 2
- Foremost, remove your Fitbit Flex 2 from your wristband and plug your Fitbit Flex 2 into the charging cable.
- You will see the round button on the base of the charging cable.
- Press the button three times within 5 seconds.
- Your Fitbit Flex 2 will show some flashing lights for few seconds and your tracker has restarted.
Steps to Reset Fitbit Flex 2
- Plug your Fitbit Flex 2 into the charging cable.
- Locate the button on the charging cable and press the button three times within 5 seconds.
- You will see all the lights on your tracker flash at the same time. Thus, your Fitbit Flex has restarted, and the reset process completes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long a Fitbit Flex Does Lasts?
According to the company, the battery of Fitbit Flex lasts for 5 days, but it is still unclear. Some Fitbit Flex users have experienced battery issues after just a few months of use.
However, if your Fitbit Flex doesn’t hold the charge you can follow any of these steps:
- You can clean the charger contacts.
- You can try charging from a different USB port.
- Once, try charging from a computer USB port instead of a USB hub.
- You can reset your tracker.
Is Fitbit Flex 2 any good?
Fitbit Flex 2 Designed for two types of people: for those who want a basic, affordable, and waterproof Fitbit device, and for those who want a stylish and versatile tracker.
Moreover, Fitbit Flex 2 is great for those who want to track steps, exercise, and sleep without wearing a bulky tracker and a plasticky fitness band. Also, if you don’t care about your heart rate and can live without a display, then Fitbit Flex 2 is good for you.
What Is The Lifespan of Fitbit Alta?
A slim and stylishly designed Fitbit Alta has a battery life of 7 days and a lifespan of 1-2 years.
Can Fitbit Alta Battery Be Replaced?
Yes! 36mAh battery replacement is compatible with Fitbit Alta. This is a registered MPF product that includes free installation tools and a 1-year replacement warranty.
What Can Be the Difference Between Fitbit Alta and Fitbit Alta HR?
The physical difference I have seen between Fitbit Alta and Fitbit Alta HR is the new heart rate sensor at the bottom of the device and the replaceable straps. And, the battery life of Fitbit Alta HR is a day longer than an the original Fitbit Alta.