If you bought a new Fitbit as a gift to yourself or you are thinking to use your old Fitbit which you have forgotten for a long, then you must go through the guide to set up your device. The process can be tricky, but thankfully not difficult.
In this article, I have detailed out the steps to set up and connect your Fitbit with your Android. The process will work for all kinds of Fitbits hopefully.
Let’s Get Started
Assuming that you are a new Fitbit user, I will give you a step-by-step guide for each scenario.
1. Power Up
Once you unpack your Fitbit, turn it on and keep it in charge. It can take a while to complete the setup process, so it’s better to have your device at least half charged. Some devices can need a bit more battery, thus, have enough battery and you are good to go.
2. Download and Install the Fitbit App to Your Android
- Turn on your Andriod and go to the Google Play Store.
- Tap on Search Bar and type Fitbit.
Or, please visit the link below:
- Tap on the Update or Install If you have the app on your device, you have to update the app, or else, you can install it.
This completes your installation process. Now, it’s time to create your Fitbit account.
3. Sign Up or Log In for Fitbit Account
If you already have an account, you can simply log in, or else, you have to sign up for an account. Here, in the process, the Fitbit app will ask you to choose the device model you have, make sure you choose the right one.
- First, open Fitbit on your Android.
- Tap on Join Fitbit. This will guide you through the process of creating your Fitbit account.
- You are then asked to fill in your email and a password that you want to use for the Fitbit account. I recommend using a strong password.
- Agree to the terms and services and tap Next.
- Now, enter your details including your First Name, Last Name, Birthday, Height, Weight, and Sex.
- Then, tap on Create an account.
- Then, you will see the list of Fitbit devices, tap on the model you have.
- The Fitbit app will ask you to turn on your Bluetooth.
- Then, it will ask you to charge your Fitbit for syncing.
Your account is already created, now you will complete your syncing process.
4. Sync a Fitbit to Your Android
In smartphone settings, once the Bluetooth is turned on, the Fitbit app will automatically look for your device.
- At first, have your Bluetooth turned on. Now, your tracker can sync with the Fitbit app.
- Open the Fitbit app on your android.
- In the dashboard, select Devices from the menu bar.
- Now, choose your Fitness Tracker.
- Scroll down to All-Day Sync and slide the toggle on.
- You can always manually sync your tracker by tapping on the Sync Now
- On some Fitbit trackers, you can get smart notifications right on the display. However, in some, you have to turn on the notification.
- To adjust the notifications, in the dashboard, tap on the menu bar and select Devices to choose your tracker.
- From there scroll down to Call and Notifications.
- You will see a message: Turn on Device Notifications. Tap there and click on the box that appears.
- To complete the changes, press on Sync Now
And, that’s it! You are ready to go.
Nonetheless, if you have a Fitbit Charge 2, a series of numbers will appear on the screen of your tracker, which you will type into your phone when prompted, and, voila! Your Android smartphone and Fitbit are synced.
Also, when you sync your Fitbit Flex 2 with no screen, your Fitbit will vibrate, and the app will prompt you to tap the tracker to confirm the connection.
Note: in the case of Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Sense, Fitbit Versa, Fitbit Versa 2, and Fitbit Versa 3, the process is slightly different. These devices use Wi-Fi to set up your tracker so, you are prompted to connect your Fitbit with Wi-Fi after pairing with the phone.
5. Set Up Your Goal
Once the system is linked, you will be prompted to receive updates. You will be able to monitor your health metrics all day via the alerts.
Besides, you can also see the Fitbit home screen, where you can see the monitoring metrics of other devices, as well as learn to set up additional ones.
Fitbit will ask you to set your goals before you start, whether it’s improving your sleep, losing weight, or a variety of other choices. Pick which wrist you want to wear your Fitbit, and you’re ready to go.
What Should I Do If Syncing Fails?
Occasionally, the Fitbit gets stuck or hangs up and won’t sync. You can try any of the specified steps in such a case:
- Try to turn off and turn back on your Bluetooth.
- Or, restart your Fitbit Device.
- Or, restart your Android.
- Try logging in to your account from a different Android.
- Still, if you are facing a problem in syncing, remove all other Fitbit devices from your account and also, from the list of connected Bluetooth devices in your android, and try to sync.
Can I Add A Second Fitbit Device or Replacement Device?
Yes! You can add or replace a device through the Fitbit App and Fitbit Connect.
Through the Fitbit App:
- First, you have to open the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
- Then, tap through to the Account icon in the top left corner.
- Press Set Up a Device.
- Finally, choose your new device and follow the setup instructions.
Through Fitbit Connect:
- Foremost, click the Fitbit Connect icon on your Windows computer.
- Then, open the Main Menu.
- Now, kindly click Set up a new Fitbit device.
- Choose the Existing User and log in to your Fitbit account.
- Finally, select your device and follow the setup instructions.
However, unfortunately, you can’t have more than one form of wearable synchronized to the same Fitbit account.
So for instance, if you have a Fitbit Versa and a Fitbit Charge 3, you can’t run them simultaneously. The only exceptions to this rule are the Aria smart scales and Ace children’s fitness trackers.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to Change a Time on a Fitbit?
The time on your Fitbit must match with the time on your mobile or computer that you have paired it with. But, if there is a problem, you can follow any of these steps:
- Try syncing your tracker with your computer manually.
- Ensure that the most up-to-date firmware runs on your tracker.
- Using the Fitbit app, pick the right time zone.
- Tap or click an account icon under advanced settings. Then, select the time zone, and turn off the automatic
- Tap or click on the time zone button and pick the appropriate time zone.
- Now, sync your tracker.
- On the com dashboard, pick the right time zone.
- Then, login, and in the top right-hand corner, press the gear button.
- Then, scroll to the bottom of the “personal info” tab in settings and change the time zone.
- Click the Fitbit Link icon near the date and time on your screen and pick sync now to force your tracker to sync.
How do I add Fitbit Friends?
Using the Fitbit app, you can add friends and family members, and track their progress.
- First, tap the “+” button on the Fitbit app dashboard to add contacts.
- Then tap or click Add Friends.
- To add stored contacts and Facebook friends, or to send email invites, follow the onscreen instructions. By modifying your privacy settings, you can select which data to share with them.
- Also, based on the number of steps you have taken in the previous week, the app will rank you and your contacts.
Can I Set Up My Fitbit Without An App?
Want to set up your Fitbit without an app? Then, you have to set your device through Fitbit Connect. Fitbit Connect is a free software app that allows your tracker to work without the need for a phone.